Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Squirrels? This Should Be Easy, Right?

Before I tell you about my experience this week, let me tell you about the week prior. Last Friday I decided to start discing, and getting my old food plot ready for this year. As I was driving back on the tractor to where my food plot was, there seemed to be squirrels in every tree I drove past. The entire time I was discing squirrels were jumping from tree to tree, playing and watching as I drove in circles. When I got a message on the following Sunday that our production company needed small game footage by the upcoming Wednesday, I figured it would be easy based on what I had seen on Friday. With such a short deadline, I frantically searched the internet for .22 ammo, finding some about 30 miles from the house. After paying $40 for just a small box of ammo (which is crazy btw) we hurried home to get everything set out for the next day. On Monday me and my fiance drove out to the farm, where I had been the Friday before. We decided since I had more experience behind the camera, and everyone likes watching girls shoot animals more than guys anyways I would do the filming. After taking 30 min just to get her to film an intro the way I wanted it, we finally were ready to get started. We jumped on the ranger and drove back through the fields looking for squirrels in the trees on our way to where I had been just three days before. We're passing tree after tree looking for squirrels, but to my surprise there where none. As we approach the place I had disked on Friday, we decided to go in a bit stealthier. As we're walking through the woods to get back to the freshly disked plot, my heart is starting to race, as I just know we're about to see some squirrels. Much to my surprise there is nothing once again. After sitting there for a couple hours and never seeing anything but a few birds, we finally decide to call it quits.Needless to say we still had fun and enjoyed the company of one another. I guess the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter what you're hunting or how successful you are; whether its squirrels or giant elk, as long as you can go out into the outdoors and have fun while enjoying
the environment, it doesn't matter how successful you are. Squirrels, might not be so easy as I thought! 

No comments:

Post a Comment