Friday, July 26, 2013

Horizontal Cedar Rubbing Post

So I was reading a post the other day about people putting up hoizontal cedar post for deer to rub there antlers on, and figured I would give a try as well. If this works, it will be a great place to get quality photos of the deer using the post. I started out cutting down three medium sized cedar trees about six inches in diameter. I then trimmed all the limbs off the trees and cut the post between six and seven feet tall. Next I dug two holes about twelve inches deep (which is not easy by hand in Missouri). I placed one pole in each of the holes packing the dirt around them tightly. I then screwed the other pole horizontally between the other two poles, cutting off the ends of the pole to be flush. I went ahead and tied the poles together with fencing wire to better secure the horizontal pole. Next I drove steal post on the back side of the cedar post angling them into the vertical post to keep the deer from pushing the posts over. Finally I placed a trail camera facing the rubbing pole to capture any action that might occur. Over the next few months I will be observing and figuring out any adjustments that need to be made or if this will even work. Here is a picture of what it looks like so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment